How Does a Post-Judgment Modification Work in New York?

A divorce lawyer in Smithtown sitting in a courtroom, facing the judge's bench adorned with the scales of justice emblem.

It is rare that your situation will remain the same in the years, even months, after your divorce settlement. When you require the settlement agreement to adapt to your new, significant, and unforeseen circumstances that are continuing to change, you may be eligible for a post-judgment modification. Read more to discover how a proficient Nassau County post-judgement modification lawyer at Barrows Levy PLLC can navigate you through this process.

Am I eligible for a post-judgment modification in New York?

Various divorce and family law agreements may qualify you for a post-judgment modification. One modification that is commonly requested is that of alimony. That is, if you have experienced a significant change in your financial situation, such as losing your job or developing a serious medical condition, you may request a modification to your alimony agreement to reflect your current financial status. On the other hand, if you are a supporting spouse, it is also possible for you to request the termination of your alimony agreement if your former spouse remarries, is living with a new romantic partner, or has new financial means to support themselves.

Child support is another settlement agreement that is commonly prone to a post-judgment modification. For example, if your child has reached the age of emancipation, this is considered grounds for termination of the child support agreement. Other grounds for termination are if your child gets married, joins the military, or can be proven that they are now financially independent. However, if you are a supporting spouse, your former spouse may counter by requesting extensions on child support past the standard age of emancipation. This request may be made if your child plans on attending higher education, has special needs, or they otherwise have valid grounds to receive an extension of support.

Lastly, child custody is an agreement that may be necessary to modify. For instance, if your former spouse shares joint custody of your child, but recently proved to be a posed danger or unfit parent to your child, you may request a modification to your custody agreement in an attempt to obtain sole custody. On the flip side, if you were initially awarded sole custody but your former spouse has proven to have made improvements, you may request a modification to the agreement so that they can become a part of your child’s life again.

If any of the aforementioned circumstances are applicable to you, and you believe that your life circumstances call for a modification of your divorce-related terms, do not hesitate in reaching out to one of the talented divorce attorneys in Nassau County today.


If you need a Nassau County lawyer who has significant experience handling family and estate planning matters, contact Barrows Levy PLLC to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today. 

Contact Us Today!
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.