The divorce process is not only complex emotionally, but there are also complicated financial and legal implications that are under consideration. You may be overwhelmed with getting the process started, all while worrying whether you and your spouse can persevere conflict-free. Continue reading for a comprehensive list of tips on how to prepare for your upcoming divorce, and how one of the proficient divorce attorneys in Nassau County of Barrows Levy PLLC can assist you through the long road ahead.
What tips should I consider for my upcoming divorce in New York State?
The following are basic steps you and your spouse should take to ensure that your divorce proceedings are as straightforward as possible:
- List your goals: you and your spouse should have an open discussion regarding realistic and attainable goals that you wish to achieve at the conclusion of your divorce. Such goals can be emotional (i.e., remaining amicable), financial (i.e., alimony, child support), or legal matters (i.e., child custody, property distribution).
- Learn the divorce process: to best prepare for the journey ahead of you, it is best that you educate yourself on what to expect from the proceedings in relevance to your and your spouse’s situation. Such divorce matters to verse yourself with are child and family issues, types of conflict resolutions, etc.
- Prepare your documents: it is best to get the appropriate documents in order before your divorce proceedings begin. There are many documents that you will be required to present for your case, including bank statements, credit card statements, income tax returns, pay stubs, etc. Such documents are pivotal pieces of evidence when financial matters such as spousal support and child support are determined.
- Learn your options: it is important to know the different types of divorce proceeding options at your disposal. For example, if you want to avoid litigation by divorcing outside of the courtroom, then you may want to utilize methods such as mediation, arbitration, or collaborative divorce. These alternative divorce methods may also be less expensive and less time-consuming. This is perhaps a matter that you can discuss with your spouse when listing your goals.
- Hire a divorce attorney: ultimately, it is in your best interest to retain the services of a talented Nassau County divorce lawyer who will properly prepare you with what to expect throughout your divorce proceedings. If you went through these steps and are ready to take the plunge, reach out to our firm today to schedule your free initial consultation.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
If you need a Nassau County lawyer who has significant experience handling family and estate planning matters, contact Barrows Levy PLLC to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.