If a New York judge ruled on the matters of your divorce, you may not agree with the judge’s decision regarding these matters. In this case, you may be wondering about your options for an appeal. To learn more about appealing a family law decision in New York, continue reading and contact our Nassau County family law attorney.
Which family law matters can I appeal?
In a litigated divorce, a judge may rule on divorce matters such as alimony, child support, child custody, and more. If you believe that the judge acted erroneously or that they abused their discretion, you can file an appeal. However, it is important to understand that judges work hard to ensure that they rule in a way that is fair and just to both parties. For this reason, it is best to speak with an experienced attorney before filing your appeal. This process can be long and expensive and is best to think through before making a rash decision.
How will a judge determine my family law matters?
A judge will take the following factors into account when making a decision about family law matters in New York:
- The child’s needs
- The preference of the child when of sufficient age
- The safety of the child and the safety of one parent from another
- Any history of domestic violence
- The parents’ ability to communicate, cooperate and agree regarding matters of the child
- The parent’s willingness to accept custody and any unwillingness to allow parenting time
- The relationship of the child with their parents and siblings
- The parents’ employment responsibilities
- The geographical proximity of the parents’ homes
- The stability of the home environment
- The quality and continuity of the child’s education
- The fitness of both parents
How long will I have to file an appeal?
You will only have a small period of time to appeal a family law decision. Once your divorce has been finalized, you will only have 30 days to file a notice of appeal in New York.
If you are looking to file an appeal, do not hesitate to contact our firm today. Our legal team will walk you through the process to ensure a positive outcome is reached. To get started with this process as soon as possible, reach out to our firm today to schedule your initial consultation with our team.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Barrows Levy PLLC is a dedicated New York law firm focused on providing quality legal services to clients in New York City and Long Island. If you require a lawyer who has notable experience handling family and estate planning matters, we are available to help. Contact Barrows Levy PLLC to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.