Adopting a child and growing your family is an extremely emotional and incredible time for any family. Though the process is exciting, it can also be overwhelming and difficult. One of the first steps you will take is to decide which adoption option is best for you and your family. To begin preparing for the steps ahead, continue reading to educate yourself on the adoption options for those living in New York. If you have any further questions regarding which adoption option is best for you, give our passionate family law attorney a call today. We understand how stressful adoption can be. We are prepared to walk you through the steps ahead. Contact our firm today to schedule your initial consultation.
Adoption Options in New York
There are several adoption options to explore as a resident of New York. The following are the adoption options available in the state of New York:
- Domestic Adoption: Adopting a child who was born in and lives in the United States.
- International Adoption: Adopting a child who was born in and lives in a foreign country.
- Second-Parent Adoption: Same-sex parent adopts their biological or adoptive child without terminating the first parent’s legal status as a parent.
- Private Adoption: Adopting a child through the child’s biological parents or adopting a child the adopter already knows.
- Stepparent Adoption: A stepparent adopts their stepchild by gaining the child’s non-custodial parent’s consent first. These adoptions may also occur if there are proven instances of child abuse or neglect.
- LGBT Adoption: LGBT couples can legally adopt a child in New York.
- Adult Adoption: Two or more adults transfer inheritance rights or filiation.
What does the adoption process entail?
New York courts will require adopters to consent to background checks, home visits, interviews, training courses, reference checks, and more. Adoption is an extensive process that requires invasive steps. For this reason alone, it is important that you retain the services of an understanding and compassionate attorney who will work to walk you through each step required for this process. If you are interested in adopting a child in New York, reach out to our experienced family law firm today to learn more about our services and how we can assist you. We are looking forward to hearing from you.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Barrows Levy PLLC is a highly experienced New York law firm focused on providing quality legal services to clients in New York City and Long Island. If you need a Nassau County lawyer who has significant experience handling family and estate planning matters, we are ready to help. Contact Barrows Levy PLLC to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.