In some cases, when a couple is seeking a divorce, they may want to go through the proceedings outside of the courtroom. To learn the different types of alternative divorce methods available to you in New York, continue reading and reach out to our experienced New York divorce attorney for assistance.
What is mediation?
Mediation allows spouses to settle their divorce matters without litigation. This process will involve a neutral third party who will assist the spouses in finding a solution that works for both party’s best interests. The following are the top benefits of using mediation in New York:
- Speed: There is no set timeframe for mediation. The length of mediation will rely on the couple and will only need to be as long as they need to settle their marital issues.
- Control: The court does not make decisions for spouses in mediation. Spouses have control over making their own decisions.
- Cost: Spouses may seek mediation because it is a more cost-effective process than trials.
- Confidentiality: Information that is discussed in mediation cannot be used against either party and is kept confidential.
- Family: Mediation can benefit the family as a whole and allow for open and honest conversations, promoting healthy communication.
- Choice: Spouses can choose to stop mediation at any time. Mediation is completely voluntary.
What is collaborative divorce?
Collaborative divorce is a process that exists through a series of four-way meetings between the two spouses and their attorneys to come to a resolution of their marital issues. This process is different from mediation because it does not rely on a third party. Instead, both spouses’ attorneys will help guide them in reaching an amicable decision.
What is arbitration?
Arbitration, like mediation, involves a third party who will act as a judge. The third-party will make all final decisions relating to marital issues for the spouses.
To learn which alternative method for divorce may be best for you and your spouse, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced family law attorney who will walk you through each of the options you have. There is no universal option. Our attorney will help you to choose the best choice for your unique situation.
If you have any additional questions regarding these methods, contact our firm today. We would be happy to assist you. Our legal team will advocate for you and your family to achieve the best possible outcome on your behalf.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Barrows Levy PLLC is a highly experienced New York law firm focused on providing quality legal services to clients in New York City and Long Island. If you need a Nassau County lawyer who has significant experience handling family and estate planning matters, we are ready to help. Contact Barrows Levy PLLC to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.