There are various ways to get a divorce in New York. Some of the most common methods include litigation, collaborative divorce, arbitration, and mediation. To learn more about mediation and the tips you can consider to have a successful mediation, continue reading and contact our Nassau County divorce lawyer.
What is mediation?
Mediation is an alternative divorce method that occurs outside of the court. Mediation involves a couple working through the matters of their divorce with the assistance of a neutral third party. The matters that will be discussed include child custody, child support, division of assets, alimony, and more.
Mediation can offer the following benefits:
- Speed: The time that mediation takes will depend on the couple and the issues that need to be resolved. Mediation can certainly be faster than litigation.
- Choice: Mediation is a voluntary method. Spouses have the choice to participate. To work together to find solutions that benefit each party, both spouses must be on the same page and willing to have open communication.
- Control: Mediation offers spouses control over their divorce matters because they are able to make decisions rather than a judge making the decisions on their behalf.
- Cost: Trials can be expensive for the couple and the state, Mediation is a more cost-effective method.
- Confidentiality: Mediation allows spouses to keep their personal information private. The information that is shared in mediation can’t be discussed with anyone else or used against either spouse.
- Family: Mediation encourages healthy conversation that can benefit any family.
What can I expect from the process?
The process of meditation is not always easy. This is why it is important to consider the following tips:
- Pick the right mediator: You must choose the correct mediation that is experienced and reputable.
- Do your research: It is important to learn what you can expect during the process ahead and to have an idea of what you would like the outcome to be.
- Control your emotions: It can be easy to let emotions get the best of you during this process. However, the process works best when both parties can come together.
- Be open-minded: You must have an open mind when entering mediation. Mediation is all about compromise. You might not get exactly what you want. But the purpose is to work together to come up with creative solutions that work for both parties involved.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
Barrows Levy PLLC is a dedicated New York law firm focused on providing quality legal services to clients in New York City and Long Island. If you require a lawyer who has notable experience handling family and estate planning matters, we are available to help. Contact Barrows Levy PLLC to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.