If you and your spouse are lucky enough to agree on the terms of your divorce, it will likely benefit you to undergo an uncontested divorce method like mediation. Continue reading for more information on why an alternate method of divorce may be in your best interest and how an experienced Nassau County uncontested divorce lawyer at Barrows Levy PLLC can help you weigh your options.
How does the divorce mediation process work in New York state?
The divorce mediation process allows you and your spouse to work together to negotiate the terms of your divorce outside of a courtroom. With this alternative method of divorce, an unbiased third party will assist you and your spouse in discussing any issues that have yet to be resolved. Once issues such as child custody, child support, division of assets, and alimony are agreed upon, then your divorce can be finalized. Of note, this third party does not necessarily have to be an attorney.
Are there benefits to choosing divorce mediation in New York state?
If you and your spouse have remained amicable, it may be beneficial for you to opt for divorce mediation. More specifically, the benefits of using this alternative method of divorce are as follows:
- Control: if you and your spouse were to undergo the litigation route, a judge would have the right to make the final decisions in your settlement agreements. Mediation, rather, gives you and your spouse control over the outcome of your divorce.
- Confidentiality: in mediation, you, your spouse, and the unbiased third party are not allowed to discuss the information that is shared or use it against one another. This adds the benefit of promoting an open and honest environment.
- Efficiency: mediation can be a quicker process than other methods. However, the length of the process will ultimately depend on you and your spouse and the number of marital issues you have to settle.
- Cost: the litigation route may require attorney expenses and otherwise, making mediation a cost-effective alternative.
- Choice: in mediation, you and your spouse are given the option to participate in this voluntary process, so you can start or stop at any time.
- Family: mediation usually benefits your family involved in the process, especially if you have children together. While litigation trials can often become hostile, mediation allows for healthy conversations.
If you are still unsure as to which route is best to take, do not hesitate in reaching out to one of the divorce attorneys in Nassau County today.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED NEW YORK FIRM
If you need a Nassau County lawyer who has significant experience handling family and estate planning matters, contact Barrows Levy PLLC to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today.