What to Know About Post-Judgment Modification in New York

Close-up of two individuals at a table with documents, one person is using a pen to sign or fill out a form, suggesting a formal agreement or business transaction in progress with same sex divorce lawyers in

Life changes, especially in the months and years following a divorce. When this occurs, you may require the services of a post-judgment modification lawyer who can assist you in proving to the courts that a modification of your divorce agreement is necessary. To learn more, continue reading, and reach out to our firm.

What divorce and family law agreements are qualified for post-judgment modification?

Various divorce and family law terms may qualify for a post-judgment modification. However, the three most common to be requested include the following:

  • Alimony: If a spouse has experienced a significant change in their financial situation such as losing a job or developing a serious medical condition, they may request a modification to their alimony agreement to reflect their current financial status. It is also possible for a supporting spouse to request the termination of their alimony agreement when their spouse remarries, is living with a new romantic partner, or has new financial means to support themselves.
  • Child Support: When a child reaches the age of emancipation, this is considered grounds for termination of the child support agreement. When a child gets married, joins the military, or can be proven that they are now financially independent, a request for the termination of their child support agreement may be made. Parents may also request extensions on child support past the standard age of emancipation. This may occur if the child plans on attending higher education, has special needs, or the child’s parent has valid grounds to receive an extension of support.
  • Child Custody: If a parent who shares joint custody of a child poses a danger to the child or is otherwise unfit to parent, the other parent may request a modification to their custody agreement to obtain sole custody. If one parent was initially awarded sole custody and the other parent has proven that they have made improvements, they may request a modification to the agreement so that they can become a part of their child’s life again.

If you believe that your life circumstances call for a modification of your divorce-related terms, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced New York post-judgment modifcation attorney. Our legal team is prepared to assist you through a divorce and after. We would be happy to walk you through the process ahead.


Barrows Levy PLLC is a highly experienced New York law firm focused on providing quality legal services to clients in New York City and Long Island. If you need a Nassau County lawyer who has significant experience handling family and estate planning matters, we are ready to help. Contact Barrows Levy PLLC to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today. 

Contact Us Today!
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.