Will I Still Have to Pay Alimony in NY if My Ex Gets Remarried?

A Nassau County Alimony Lawyer calculating finances or budgeting with a calculator and documents on a wooden desk.

Everyone hopes to only get married once, however, this simply isn’t the case for everyone. That being said, if you got divorced and you make regular alimony payments, you’re most likely wondering when those payments end. For example, if your spouse recently got remarried, you’re most likely looking to terminate your alimony agreement, and for good reason. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced Nassau County alimony lawyer to learn more about how alimony works in NY and whether your situation qualifies for a modification to (or termination of) your alimony agreement. Here are some of the questions you may have regarding the legal process ahead:

How do courts decide on how long a spouse has to pay alimony in NY?

As with most decisions regarding divorce and family law matters, courts will consider a variety of factors when determining an alimony agreement. That said, the most important factors for courts to consider are as follows:

  • Both spouses’ income
  • Both spouses’ age and health
  • The duration of the marriage
  • The standard of living established in the marriage
  • The earning capacity of each spouse
  • Any other factor the court deems relevant

Can I stop paying alimony if my ex just got remarried?

The first thing you should understand is that here in New York State, alimony is not intended to be permanent. Instead, alimony is supposed to be temporary financial assistance for the financially dependent spouse until they can become financially independent once again. Essentially, alimony is meant to compensate for the financial support one spouse provided during the marriage. When one spouse gets remarried, in most cases, this will warrant the termination of alimony payments, as their new spouse should provide the financial support they need. This is known as a post-judgment modification. If you’re looking to terminate your current alimony agreement via a post-judgment modification, you should strongly consider retaining the services of a competent Nassau County divorce lawyer who can guide you through the process. For any further questions, or if you’re ready to get started, all you need to do is pick up the phone and give us a call today.


Barrows Levy PLLC is a dedicated New York law firm focused on providing quality legal services to clients in New York City and Long Island. If you require a lawyer who has notable experience handling family and estate planning matters, we are available to help. Contact Barrows Levy PLLC to schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys today. 

Contact Us Today!
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.